Proxy (plural: Proxies) is the term given to those who serve The Slender Man. The theory behind the name is that Proxies are entities or people who are under the influence or control of the Slender Man (or the same force that influences Slender Man), and act based on its wants and needs- hence, Proxies serve as an in-between (i.e. a proxy) for Slender Man.
It is suspected that Proxies do the actual, physical work for Slender Man, such as creating and manipulating objects, destroying and leaving evidence, creating videos and responding on Twitter (in ARGs), and influencing victims as needed.
TribeTwelve contains the largest organization of Proxies called the, the Observer hacked into Noah's Twitter account and used it to interview Noah and the viewers, where he then revealed the names and identities of Firebrand, DeadHead, Swain, and Cursor, and possible Proxies Mr. Scars and Persolus.
Despite popular belief, proxies are essentially little more than slaves. They are simply mind-controlled humans, who do not gain any unnatural properties other than their behavior. Most proxies are completely unaware of their nature, as their memories are suppressed by Slender Man, and those who do find out they are proxies are often horrified to learn of the mind control that had occurred.
Very few proxies retain any of their personality while in forced servitude, as most adopt a separate personality altogether, sometimes nearly opposite of their real personality. This may be a method in which Slender Man helps prevent them from remembering their actions, or figure out what they really are. This alternate personality can range from sadistic to completely emotionless.
Many proxies seem to figuratively (or sometimes literally) worship Slender Man while under his control; whether this is as a means of keeping them obedient or a result of an inflated ego is unknown, although the former may be more likely.
Some stories report proxies who have either failed or who outlive their usefulness later being destroyed to prevent them from becoming a problem.
In somewhat rare cases, fans will report Slender Man possessing a proxy completely, taking full control of the individual to the point they become nothing more than a vessel for Slender Man's own mind.
The Blogosphere in its story eventually fleshed out a system of ranks for its proxies. While other sources traditionally only had one or two proxies, the blogosphere went through a period where runners would be hunted by large packs of proxies. This lead to criticisms claiming that the proxies took the focus away from the Slender Man itself, and that the proxy hordes made the stories too much resemble a zombie apocalypse fiction. Some blogs made efforts to retcon proxy hordes away as hallucinations.
The ranking system is as follows:
- Hallowed - Mindless puppets created by Slender Man for the harassment of runners, with no other purpose.
- Berserkers - Most closely resembling the traditional perception of proxies, slaves to the Slender Man, but with enough of their own will left to have superior problem solving and tactics.
- Sleepers - Have their original personalities kept intact, and are left unaware of their status of proxies.
- Agents - Not proxies in the traditional sense; Agents appear to be the blogosphere's interpretation of cultists.
- Revenants - Proxies with super-strength and regenerative abilities granted to them by Slender Man. Eventually became unpopular with bloggers and were retconned away as hallucinations.